I am always looking for meals that are high in plant-based protein! My husband is big on hitting the gym, and always asking me to provide some more protein for him after a good work out.
I love beans, BUT I always worry if they are going to provide what I need, since they are an incomplete protein. Because of that, you have to pair them with another food to create a complete protein that provides the essential amino acids your body needs to function! I paired beans with cashews & quinoa. The combination of beans & nuts complete the protein and make it a fully nutritious and nourishing meal! Quinoa is also high in protein.
My girl friends are always asking what plant-based meals they can feed their husbands that they will LIKE. This one was a hit with mine! Give it a try and let me know what you think. 🙂
quinoa stuffed roasted peppers w/ tahini-lime dressing
vegan, gluten-free, soy-free
- 2 red peppers (or green.. I prefer red)
- 1 c quinoa, uncooked
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1/3 c raw cashews
- 2-3 gloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- special seasoning (recipe below)
- tahini lime dressing (recipe below)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- (if you don’t want to make this you could just do salt, pepper & some type of hot spice like chili, cayenne, etc.)
“tahini lime dressing”
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare quinoa & cook according to directions on the package. Put minced garlic in with the quinoa & allow to simmer with it.
- Cut red peppers in half vertically & scoop out the seeds. Place the 4 halves inside face down on the oven rack. Allow them to sit while oven preheats.
- Prepare “special seasoning” while quinoa cooks & oven pre-heats. Just combine all the spices and mix until combined!
- Once quinoa is finished, rinse kidney beans and pour beans in pot with quinoa. Also add cashews, 1 tbsp of the nutritional yeast, and as much as the seasoning as you like, ‘to-taste’.
- Remove peppers from the oven, place face open on a baking sheet. Fill them with the quinoa mixture, and sprinkle nutritional yeast over the top of them. Place in oven & bake for 20 minutes.
- While peppers bake, prepare tahini-lime dressing. Mix water, tahini, lime, salt, & pepper in a small bowl. Mix until combined.
- Remove peppers from oven, & drizzle tahini dressing over them.